22 March 2012

Small films

 It has been a while since I last posted anything on here but for my journalism class in college, im looking at independent films and the funding they get. For some research about a month ago I started watching small budgeted films and have since became addicted. I feel that they are so much better than any big blockbuster Hollywood produces nowadays.
          Just take the recent John Carter. Made for 250 million. Yes that’s right and it is not even going to gross that back! No wonder the world is in financial ruins. As they had such a big budget, the film is all over the place. There is no control over the story and in all honesty it is just boring. The way I see it is the bigger the budget, the more rubbish it is. I admit there are exceptions but on the whole it is true.
     Now then take a film I just watched recently called Monsters. It was made by a Welsh man called Gareth Edwards and had as good special effects as John Carter did. The big difference was that this was only made for half a million. Incredible to think that when you are watching the film. It has more control over budget so everything is tight including the story and the special effects are incredible. Hollywood please take note.
         I have started looking for more independent films and have found that a lot of the most famous directors and actors started of with pretty small films. Michael Fassbender starred in Fish Tank before he hit the big time. Fish Tank is really good in my opinion; it makes you really care for the characters. Having just found independent films I am looking forward to finding more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment